With Labor Day coming up, you may be heading to a cookout or a party where you need to bring a side dish. While you can’t expect everything at someone else’s party to prepared from Crohn’s-friendly potluck recipes, you can make sure you have something there to eat by picking from one of our favorites below.
Our Favorite Crohn’s-Friendly Easy Recipes
Crohn’s Disease-Friendly Recipes
Dietary changes are one common way to reduce severity of symptoms and flare-ups of chronic inflammatory bowel diseases (IBDs) such as Crohn’s disease. Even though you may want to avoid certain foods that can trigger symptoms of your condition, there are still many Crohn’s disease-friendly recipes that are also delicious.
Crohn’s Disease-Friendly Bruschetta
These bite-size toasts with a mix of roasted tomato, basil and a little olive oil are quick to prepare and delicious to eat. They’re also a great way to take advantage of summer’s last bounty of tomatoes. Roasting the tomatoes first makes them easier to digest.
- To prepare, just slice bread into thick slices and toast. Slice your tomatoes and toss with olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar if you like, plus salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes at 400 degrees. Top the toasts with the tomato mix when you arrive, and you’re good to go!
- If you need to prep ahead of time, you can turn this recipe into a Panzanella Salad by using day-old bread and tossing everything together in the morning. Let sit at room temperature up to 8 hours to let the flavors meld.
Crohn’s-Friendly Roasted Root Vegetable Tray
Raw vegetables tend to be troublesome for people with Crohn’s, but roasting them not only makes them more easily digestible but also adds a great depth of flavor. We love a spray of rainbow carrots with an herbed olive-oil mayonnaise for dip, but you can use any of your favorite root vegetables.
- To make, toss your favorite root vegetables with olive oil, salt, pepper, and any of your favorite herbs (we’re partial to thyme, rosemary and oregano). Roast in a 400-degree oven for 40 minutes, or until vegetables are fork-tender.
- For the dip, simply stir in some of your favorite herbs, dried or fresh, into store-bought olive-oil mayonnaise.
Crohn’s-Friendly Fruit Crumble
And of course, you can’t forget dessert. We like to use whatever fruit is in season, but you can easily use frozen fruit here too. You can use almond meal if you can tolerate nuts, brown rice flour if you’re sensitive to gluten and nuts, or stick to white flour to keep the fiber level low.
- To prepare, mix together 4 cups of your fruit of choice and any natural sweeteners (like maple syrup or honey) to taste. Put the fruit mixture in the bottom of the dish. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the fruit to brighten the flavors. In another bowl, mix 1 cup flour, 1/4 cup oil or butter (whichever you can tolerate), 2 T. maple syrup or honey, a pinch of cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Spread the topping evenly over the fruit, and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and the fruit is bubbling.
Treatment for Crohn’s at IVX Health
If your treatment regimen for Crohn’s disease includes biologic infusion or injection treatments such as Remicade or Entyvio, consider IVX Health for your care. We offer appointments that fit your schedule (days, evenings and weekends) in comfortable private suites so you can enjoy your time while receiving treatment. If you’re ready to experience how we are redefining care for patients with chronic conditions, contact us to schedule an appointment at one of our many convenient locations.
Treatment at IVX Health
If biologics like Remicade, Actemra or Orencia are a part of your chronic illness treatment plan, then consider choosing IVX Health for your ongoing care needs. IVX Health makes it possible to receive your therapy in a comfortable, convenient, and private environment.
With a private suite for every patient, you can watch your favorite Netflix show or movie on the big screen TV in each room, use a laptop or other mobile device to surf the web, or simply hang out with family and friends. We always have chairs for guests, and each center has a family room that is spacious and private if you need to bring your kids to your treatment. We also offer flexible appointment scheduling – including evenings and Saturdays – at any of our convenient locations.
At IVX Health, we truly are invested in helping you live your best life. If you’re ready to experience a new kind of infusion clinic, click here to learn how to move your infusion or injection therapy to IVX Health.