See why thousands of patients choose our centers as their preferred destination for ongoing care, including Lemtrada Infusion treatments.
Lemtrada is a biologic therapy that is indicated to treat:
- relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS) in adults who have tried two or more other MS medications that haven’t worked well enough
What Is Lemtrada?
Lemtrada (alemtuzumab) is a prescription medication administered for patients in all IVX Health centers via IV infusion for patients with multiple sclerosis (MS).
How Lemtrada Works
Lemtrada works by binding to CD52 on B and T cells, which are two key drivers thought to cause MS inflammation. Lemtrada depletes these cells from circulation.
What Is Lemtrada Used For?
Doctors order alemtuzumab to treat:
- Relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS) in adults who have tried two or more other MS medications that haven’t worked well enough
Lemtrada Infusion Dosage and Administration
Patients receive alemtuzumab intravenously. At a medical clinic like IVX Health, each infusion takes approximately four hours with a two hour observation period afterwards.
Dosage and Frequency
Typical Lemtrada dosage is 12mg/1.2mL.
Lemtrada infusions are administered in eight doses over two years, on five consecutive days in round one and, one year later, on three consecutive days in round two.
Administering Lemtrada via IV Infusion
- The nurse prepares the patient’s arm by using rubbing alcohol to sterilize the location that is being used to insert the IV needle.
- Following needle insertion, the IV line is held in place with tape.
- The nurse attaches the patient’s IV line to the line coming down from the bag of medication.
Every half-an-hour, the patient’s nurse takes his or her vitals.
Lemtrada Infusion Side Effects
As with all medications, side effects are possible.
The most common side effects of Lemtrada include:
- Rash or hives
- Thyroid problems
- Swelling of the nose and throat
- Nausea and vomiting
- Urinary tract infection
- Feeling tired
- Trouble sleeping
- Upper respiratory infection
- Herpes viral infection
- Fungal infection
- Joint pain or back pain
- Pain in the arms or legs
- Sinus infection
- Mouth pain or sore throat
- Tingling sensation
- Stomach pain
- Sudden redness in face, neck, or chest
More serious side effects include:
- Autoimmune problems
- Serious allergic reactions
- Stroke and tears in arteries supplying blood to the brain
To decrease the likelihood of the patient experiencing a reaction, he or she may be advised to take certain medications before the next IV infusion treatment with alemtuzumab.
How To Prepare for a Lemtrada Infusion
It is essential that patients inform their physician if they:
- Have bleeding, thyroid or kidney problems
- Have a recent history of infection
- Are taking a medicine called Campath (alemtuzumab)
- Have received a live vaccine in the past 6 weeks before receiving Lemtrada
Before treatment, patients should get a good night’s sleep. In addition, they need to drink an adequate amount of fluid and eat a meal before their Lemtrada IV infusion treatment at IVX Health.
During treatment with Lemtrada, patients need to avoid receiving live vaccines.
How to Get a Referral for Lemtrada IV Infusions
Every Lemtrada referral must be accompanied by a physician’s order for treatment.
- Patient information should include:
- Current address
- Home and mobile phone number
- Insurance information
Information the physician must include on the patient’s order for Lemtrada IV therapy:
- Patient’s name and DOB
- Order date
- Physician’s name and NPI#
- Office address, phone, and fax numbers
- Provider’s signature
Supporting clinical documentation from the physician should include:
- Most recent lab results
- Results of a recent tuberculosis (TB) skin/lab testing
- Results of HIV testing
- Patient has relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis (RRMS) who has had an inadequate response to two or more drugs indicated for the treatment of MS
- Baseline labs as required by REMS program
- Results of Hep C testing
If you or someone you care about has one of the conditions that Lemtrada infusions treat, you may want to learn more about IV infusion treatments with alemtuzumab. To find an IVX Health infusion center near you, please click here.
Patients chose IVX Health to receive their ongoing Lemtrada treatments because:
- ALL private suites
- Comfortable recliners, with chairs for guests
- Evening & weekend appointments
- Friendly clinical staff deliver personal service
- Big screen TVs, high-speed WiFi, free snacks
Lemtrada Financial Assistance Programs
Information about financial assistance programs coming soon.
IVX Health would love to learn more about your care needs. If you’re interested in switching your infusion services – or if you just want to learn more – let us know.