February 11, 2015 |  written by IVX Health

How to Keep Your Heart Healthy

It's Valentine's week, and that means many of us have our thoughts on our hearts and the hearts of our loved ones.  Here are a few ways to keep your heart healthy this Valentine's Day and all year round. #1: Live an Active Life One of the best ways to keep your heart healthy is to get your heart rate up on a regular basis.  Ideally, you should be moving for at least 30 minutes a day, most days of the week.  Making moderately intense exercise a part of your routine -- whether that's an exercise DVD collection, a brisk walking regimen, a jogging routine, or a class like Zumba -- is a great way to keep your heart (and the rest of your body!) in great shape. #2: Stick to a Healthy Diet The old adage "You are what you eat" isn't just a cute saying.  Food is fuel for your body.  So, as you can imagine, if you put mostly junk into it, you're not going to get the best performance.  If you stick to a diet of lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats (think olive oil or avocado), you'll be on the right track. And don't worry -- it's OK to indulge every once in a while, too.  Keep the 80/20 principle in mind.  If you eat healthy and clean 80 percent of the time, the other 20 percent can be for those foods that you love but don't quite fit under the heading of "healthy." #3: Make a Good Night's Sleep a Priority Sleep provides a host of necessary benefits for your brain and body.  Your brain synthesizes memories when you sleep, and your body heals minor damage as well.  When you are chronically underslept, you're at risk for a lot of other problems, too.  Sleep deprivation is associated with heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and depression. Most adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep, so pick a bedtime that works with when you have to get up, and stick to it.  Set a bedtime alarm if you have to.  If you have trouble sleeping, don't just deal with it -- make an appointment with your doctor.  Insomnia and sleep apnea are serious conditions, but they can be treated, so don't wait to get on the path toward a better night's sleep. Taking Care of Your Heart at IVX Health One of the conditions we treat at IVX Health is heart failure, so we’re invested in the heart health of all of our patients.  If your doctor has prescribed IV therapy to treat congestive heart failure, know that you have options for when and where to receive your treatment. We do IV treatment differently at IVX Health by offering infusions in a spa-like environment at a time that works for you — including evenings and weekends.  We believe feeling better should start when you walk in the door for your treatment, and we would love to show you how you can make IV therapy a convenient and enjoyable part of your life. If you’re ready to experience the difference IVX Health can make in your life, give us a call at either one of our two convenient locations in Lee’s Summit or Overland Park.

It’s Valentine’s week, and that means many of us have our thoughts on our hearts and the hearts of our loved ones.  Here are a few ways to keep your heart healthy this Valentine’s Day and all year round.

#1: Live an Active Life

One of the best ways to keep your heart healthy is to get your heart rate up on a regular basis.  Ideally, you should be moving for at least 30 minutes a day, most days of the week.  Making moderately intense exercise a part of your routine — whether that’s an exercise DVD collection, a brisk walking regimen, a jogging routine, or a class like Zumba — is a great way to keep your heart (and the rest of your body!) in great shape.

#2: Stick to a Healthy Diet

The old adage “You are what you eat” isn’t just a cute saying.  Food is fuel for your body.  So, as you can imagine, if you put mostly junk into it, you’re not going to get the best performance.  If you stick to a diet of lean proteins, whole grains, and healthy fats (think olive oil or avocado), you’ll be on the right track.

And don’t worry — it’s OK to indulge every once in a while, too.  Keep the 80/20 principle in mind.  If you eat healthy and clean 80 percent of the time, the other 20 percent can be for those foods that you love but don’t quite fit under the heading of “healthy.”

#3: Make a Good Night’s Sleep a Priority

Sleep provides a host of necessary benefits for your brain and body.  Your brain synthesizes memories when you sleep, and your body heals minor damage as well.  When you are chronically underslept, you’re at risk for a lot of other problems, too.  Sleep deprivation is associated with heart attacks, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity and depression.

Most adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep, so pick a bedtime that works with when you have to get up, and stick to it.  Set a bedtime alarm if you have to.  If you have trouble sleeping, don’t just deal with it — make an appointment with your doctor.  Insomnia and sleep apnea are serious conditions, but they can be treated, so don’t wait to get on the path toward a better night’s sleep.

Taking Care of Your Heart at IVX Health

One of the conditions we treat at IVX Health is heart failure, so we’re invested in the heart health of all of our patients.  If your doctor has prescribed IV therapy to treat congestive heart failure, know that you have options for when and where to receive your treatment.

We do IV treatment differently at IVX Health by offering infusions in a spa-like environment at a time that works for you — including evenings and weekends.  We believe feeling better should start when you walk in the door for your treatment, and we would love to show you how you can make IV therapy a convenient and enjoyable part of your life.

If you’re ready to experience the difference IVX Health can make in your life, give us a call at either one of our two convenient locations in Lee’s Summit or Overland Park.

Treatment at IVX Health

If biologics like Remicade, Actemra or Orencia  are a part of your chronic illness treatment plan, then consider choosing IVX Health for your ongoing care needs. IVX Health makes it possible to receive your therapy in a comfortable, convenient, and private environment.

With a private suite for every patient, you can watch your favorite Netflix show or movie on the big screen TV in each room, use a laptop or other mobile device to surf the web, or simply hang out with family and friends. We always have chairs for guests, and each center has a family room that is spacious and private if you need to bring your kids to your treatment. We also offer flexible appointment scheduling – including evenings and Saturdays – at any of our convenient locations.

At IVX Health, we truly are invested in helping you live your best life. If you’re ready to experience a new kind of infusion clinic, click here to learn how to move your infusion or injection therapy to IVX Health.

Menu